The second work day on a mission trip is typically a good day.  You don’t have the awkwardness of not knowing where to go.  You’ve been to the job site so you know your way around the area a bit, and, once you get there, you can usually pick up where you left off.  You’ve met most of the people you  need to meet.  You’re still enthused and maybe even a little energized about the task ahead.  And you feel like you kinda know what to expect.  After all, now you’re experienced! 

Today was that kind of day.  We had breakfast at Camp Faith – cereal, fresh fruit, yogurt, milk and juice.  Marc made oatmeal.  (Thanks, Marc!)  We made our sandwiches and packed our lunches in brown paper sacks.  Pastor made some tuna salad for sandwiches, plus we still had some delicious roast beef left from the Super Bowl party.  We were on our way to Raymond’s house by 8:00.  It’s about a 20 minute drive.  When we arrived, we all had our places to start, from where we  left off yesterday, and got to work.  It wasn’t long and we had the place buzzing with saws, sanders, and even some sweat!

Raymond was around more today so we all got a chance to visit with him.  He is a likeable guy whose trade is upholstery.  He is currently laid off, but he has some interesting stories about jobs he has done and places he has worked.  His house is the perfect job for us to do.  It is utilizing the skills of each of us.  It is so amazing how God can send the right people at the right time to the right place. 

Roy, Tom, and Judy went first thing this morning to the home of the elderly couple that we had  thought we might be able to work for, but their funding hadn’t been approved yet.  Roy was initially asked to help provide a materials cost estimate.  After meeting with the couple and seeing the home, a new option became apparent.  Amazing!  Hopefully, armed with a new plan this special couple will be able to have their home reevaluated and approved. 

Today, the second work day, was also a day of accomplishing things. The tile in the kitchen got laid, so it was on to the bathrooms.  The flooring in the bedroom did indeed get done by noon, so it was on to the next bedroom.   The trim moved to the next stage – varnishing, although there is still prepping, sanding, and staining being done.  Most of the trim is stained so we’ve on to the doors.  All of that trim stacked up behind Ruth — she stained all of that just today.  She is one trim woman!

Ruth -- One Trim Woman


2 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. Bob
    Feb 09, 2011 @ 16:07:25

    Fabulous!!!! Keep the updates coming : )


  2. Shari
    Feb 09, 2011 @ 19:49:12

    Thanks Pastor for making tuna sandwiches! Marc would never get those at home. Congrats on all of your progress. Keep up the great work and enjoy the snow:)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: